Ponte Castle dates back to the 11th century. The first document in which it is mentioned is an act of 1087, a period in which it was controlled by Baldovino the Norman .
It was in 1134 that the first siege of the castle took place at the hands of King Ruggiero the Norman who managed to conquer it.
Its corner towers can still be admired today, although several invasive interventions on the structure have occurred over the centuries.
Of the hypothetical seven watchtowers and defence towers in the original design, only four can be seen today. Two other towers are located inside the walls with the function of separating the Duke’s palace from the other areas of the castle.